My younger sister is 15 years younger than I am and even though we haven’t spent a lot of time together, I’ve actually learned a lot about being a mother from having her around. One thing that stood out to me was the fact that my mother would rotate her toys. Rotating toys for toddlers is genius in my opinion! Who knows maybe my mom even did this for my brother and I and I just don’t remember. See it works!
The concept is that as they get new toys you put away a few of the toys they have been playing with and in a few months you rotate some of the old ones back in and the new ones out. This allows them to have “new” toys every few months. Kids tend to pull out all of their toys and play with just a few, and while I love my kiddo to explore, the mess is becoming more than he or I want to pick up. That’s why rotating your kid’s toys is such an awesome idea!
Tips for Rotating Toys for Toddlers:
- Pick out the right size containers. If your containers are too big they will still take up a lot of room and you will have too many toys to sort through. Get a good size to keep like toys or sets together. For example farm animals with fences and farm pieces.
- Find a system that works for you. If my mom rotated my toys then I never knew so she must have put away toys when I wasn’t paying attention. With my own kid I put them away and bring out new toys at the same time. He’s only two so there’s no fuss.
- Don’t store these containers in their room or closet. Most likely if you do this they will inevitably want what is in the containers and not what is on their shelves.
- The first time you do this you may want to give up. Don’t! After the first round you just have to make sure to keep up with it!
- Keep educational toys and books out. I really want to read more with our kids and I am more likely to do this if they are right there in front of me.
Here recently he found a tub of toys I was going to put away until his younger brother was ready for them. But because Brodie hadn’t seen them in a while he played with them for days! It took me a while before I started rotating toys and boy do I wish I had started earlier. Being the first child Brodie was blessed with all the first toys in the family. Now that he gets to share the rotating system will save me from buying more toys and save me from picking up toys all day long!
Brodie is great about picking up his toys when asked. This system isn’t about making it easier for me to pick up toys because that’s his job. This system is about keeping him exploring and enjoying each toy that he has. Like I said before, he takes out all of his toys and only plays with a few!
You can see more of our playroom here.